Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
(916) 773-4300 Granite Bay, CA

County of El Dorado


Interested in Getting a Vacation Home a Rental Permit?

Here is some helpful reference Information (and links) to help you stay compliant with your "Short-Term Vacation Rental" in the Lake Tahoe Basin

There is a lot to consider when a property owner decides to make a private residence into a business.
Owners of vacation home rentals in the Lake Tahoe basin (which include homes, townhouses and condominiums that are rented for a period of 30 consecutive days or less) are required to apply for a Vacation Home Rental Permit. 

The Vacation Home Rental Permit also serves as a business license and as registration to collect the Transient Occupancy Tax. 

The Vacation Home Rentals In The Lake Tahoe Basin Ordinance went into effect September 16, 2004 and requires owners to obtain a permit to operate their vacation home rental. The ordinance is designed to lessen the impact of vacation renters on their neighbors. 

The Tax Collector must be notified when a vacation home is sold; the permit is not transferable. 

Vacation Home Rentals - Important Notice

Compliance with the parking, garbage and noise provisions of the Lake Tahoe Vacation Home Rental Ordinance is important. This notice tells how to report vacation home rental concerns.

  • For general concerns: Call the Tax Collector’s Office at (530) 621-5800. This office can provide you with a phone number for the 24-hour contact person for any vacation rental with a valid permit. This contact has legal responsibility to require tenant compliance, in a timely manner, with the provisions of the county ordinance, including the garbage and parking provisions. 
  • For other issues: 
    • Offensive noise, disturbances – 
      Sheriff’s Dispatcher – (530) 621-6600 
      Watch Command – (530) 573-3002 
    • File a complaint – Tax Collector – (530) 621-5800
    • Report vacation homes operating without a valid permit - Tax Collector – (530) 621-5800 

For a El Dorado County "Good Neighbor Program Brochure": Click HERE

For a Vacation Home RENTAL PERMIT APPLICATION, Forms and Instructions:  Click HERE

To check the Status of ACTIVE Vacation Home Permits in the Lake Tahoe Basin:  Click HERE

For the latest Lake Tahoe Basin VACATION RENTAL home property ORDINANCES:  Click HERE